DATA SCIENTIST – TIME SERIES
Albus Health is a medical technology startup that develops intelligent remote monitoring systems for in-home patients taking part in clinical trials. We are looking for a Data scientist to join us in our mission to improve lives of a billion people worldwide struggling with chronic respiratory conditions such as asthma and COPD.
Our potent combination of technical, clinical and commercial experts has allowed us to gain significant commercial traction in a relatively short duration. Our solution is now in use by some of the world’s largest pharma companies and we are preparing to scale up our operations domestically and overseas.
Albus have partnerships with top hospitals in the UK and some of Europe’s best clinicians. We have been running multiple carefully selected clinical studies and trials for several years, and as a result, acquired a wealth of data. This data will be instrumental to further advance our technology and to continue extracting valuable insights that would prevent emergencies and deaths for people struggling with chronic conditions.
Albus spun out from the Department of Engineering and Respiratory Medicine at Oxford University back in 2017 and have since then won multiple wards (including AI in Health and Care Award by UK’s Health Secretary and UK Research and Innovation). Albus is firmly backed with multi million pounds investment and we are now looking to expand our technical team in Oxford to develop new products and solutions that can operate at a global scale.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Data scientist position is an R&D hands on role with the opportunity to mentor some more junior colleagues as our team grows. You will develop machine learning algorithms for time series analysis, building on our existing code base. You will be working on our core technology for symptom monitoring and prediction, supporting the improvement of performance, additions of new capabilities and discovery of novel biomarkers. The result of your work will be used directly in the delivery of healthcare and cutting edge research in a range of chronic conditions. Given the volume of data and processing involved, software needs to be architected for efficiency and scale.
This role will be reporting directly to the CTO. You will also have access to a range of clinical, technical and industry experts to gain insights, jointly steer research and identify novel solutions with high health impact and commercial scalability. After early adoption, Albus is now entering an exciting rapid growth phase that presents unique opportunities for career growth and progression, both technical and managerial.
In the first week, we will help you get a good overview of the company, its origins, current state and where we are headed. You will learn about customer requirements, the technology and the team.
During the first month, you will understand the various technical challenges in more detail and familiarise yourself with our current code and algorithm, being able to make some small modifications of your own.
By the end of your first quarter, you would have been able to undertake a sizeable work package/s addressing some of the new features in our roadmap.
- Engage with our clinical and commercial teams to understand deeply the problems to solve
- Embed and improve principled time series analysis approaches in order to capitalise on the longitudinal information embedded in sensing data streams (e.g. Acoustics, Motion, Environmental data,&)
- Develop multivariate times series forecasting approaches that accurately predict relevant changes in respiratory conditions (e.g. Asthma attacks)
- Sift and analyse data from multiple angles, looking for trends that highlight opportunities
- Formulate hypothesis for model improvement/optimisation, test/validate hypothesis and optimise input data and chosen model
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Demonstrable experience in time-series forecasting, classification, segmentation and descriptive analysis, preferably on biomedical signals
- Proficiency in data analysis toolkits and libraries and practical knowledge of commonly used frameworks for Machine Learning and Deep Learning (eg. PyData, PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- 3+ years of experience developing and productionising code on retrospective and real-time data
- Experience in developing analysis models for a range of computing capabilities, from microprocessors to multi-core GPUs
- Experience working with multivariate and noisy signals with missing data
- Experience working with a healthcare or medical technology start-up will be a distinct advantage, specially with remote symptom monitoring products
- Knowledge or experience with acoustics and/or motion signal processing
- Experience running production code in a cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Knowledge of relational and/or non-relational databases (eg, SQL)
- Version control code (Git) including dev, test and production environments
- Competitive salary (based on experience)
- Comprehensive benefits package in addition to base salary
- You will be offered equity in the company through EMI scheme
- Possibility of flexible working hours and remote working arrangements
- Regular company socials and activities